Learn How You Can Maximize Your Chances Of Winning Medical School Scholarships & Awards
Winning awards and scholarships can:
- Significantly reduce your debt. AAMC research indicates that the median education debt for the class of 2013 was $175,000.
- Provide a major boost to your residency application, and set you apart from your peers. Awards can be placed in the application, MSPE (Dean's Letter), letters of recommendation, and CV.
- We have found that interviewers often ask about awards during residency interviews. "The [American Society of Clinical Pathology Academic Excellence Award] was a common topic during my residency interviews," says Alexander Gallan, a medical student at the Boston University School of Medicine. "I believed it helped my residency application immeasurably by providing justification for all the hard work I have done."
- Elevate your profile with competitive specialties and residency programs. After Brian Caldwell, a medical student at the University of Arkansas, won the Dr. Constantin Cope Medical Student Research Award from the Society of Interventional Radiology, Dr. William Cup, his mentor, had this to say. "I am so pleased that he won the national SIR award, because his participation in the conference introduced him to national leaders in interventional radiology, and will help jumpstart his career."
- Raise your stature in medical school.
- Make you more attractive for other awards and scholarships.
- Further your professional reputation and enhance your credibility in the areas that form the basis for the award.
- Solidify the support of faculty who become reference letter writers. Strengthening these relationships over time allows faculty members to write strong letters of reference for residency.
Our interest in helping medical students win scholarships and awards led us to write the book, Medical School Scholarships, Grants & Awards: Insider Advice On How To Win Scholarships. In this resource, we feature profiles of winners, proven strategies for success, and crucial tips. You'll learn how to craft a powerful scholarship application, write compelling essays, secure strong letters of recommendation, and stand out from the competition. Winners have reduced their medical school debt and strengthened their residency application, and we'd like nothing more than to see you win too. As a companion to our book, we launched this site to keep you abreast of new opportunities, introduce you to other winners, and inspire you to make the most of your medical school years.
As a faculty member at the Baylor College of Medicine, Dr. Samir Desai has educated and mentored medical students, work for which he has received numerous teaching awards. He is an author and editor, having written numerous books that together have sold over 200,000 copies worldwide. Among these titles include the popular Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty, Success in Medical School: Insider Advice for the Preclinical Years, and The Successful Match: 200 Rules to Succeed in the Residency Match. To bring his latest book (and this site) - Medical School Scholarships, Grants & Awards - to life, he collaborated with a talented group of authors.